Friday 3 June 2011

... and then there were six

The inevitable has happened...we have lost a chicken. And by lost I don't mean that it has escaped and we can't find it, I mean that we came home this afternoon to a very dead chicken in my backyard. It was one of our juicy plump broilers that must have suffered a heart attack due to its immense growth in such a short period of time. The girls were heartbroken and I must say that I shed a few tears as well. We have learned today that those chickens were not meant for longevity but just for pure meaty deliciousness. Its a shame that she died but even more so that she has gone to waste...well I'm sure the vultures will enjoy her after we dispose of her but I digress. Needless to say we have an appointment at the butcher's first thing Tuesday morning where we will be saying good-bye to the rest of our white ladies. We will keep the two little layers and hopefully should see some eggs out of them by the end of this summer. Oh how the adventure continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment